Yeah, these really don’t last long here. I roll and roll and roll….honestly, I can spend a good 20 minutes rolling these suckers! And then they are GONE within minutes!!! I shouldn’t complain, I mean, really, this is my dream, right, to nourish and provide healthy snacks for the next generation 😉 (But honestly-ask anyone-I HATE the rolling part, I just have to remember to go into my “happy space” and put some tunes on). I have also contemplated a “rolling team” and a bit of a production line…the picture here is a “snapshot” fraction of how many of these things I make. But less whinging and talking about how AMAZEBALLS these are!
- They are NUT FREE (Yay-school friendly!)
- They are high in PROTEIN (so ideally you should only need 1 or 2 but try telling owing children that!)
- High in FIBRE
- FREE from refined sugar and dairy (Not gluten as they do contain oats but you could replace with buckwheat or millet)
- They are made with organic Cacao-rich in ANTIOXIDANTS (These fight the badies!)
- Great for lunch boxes or after school snacks
So what’s involved apart from rolling:
- 1/2-3/4 cup of blended oats (or millet/buckwheat if gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (coconut blended in blender is fine)
- 1 tablespoon of another seed or seeds e.g. linseed, sesame (optional)
- 1/4 rice malt syrup
- 1/4 coconut oil
- 1 cup of boiling water
- pinch of mineral salt
- extra shredded coconut or cacao to roll your balls in after.
- Melt coconut oil and rice malt syrup in pot.
- Add all dry ingredients and mix. Make sure there is enough oil and taste for sweetness.
- add cup of boiling water and mix.
- Allw to cool and sit for 10-15 minutes
- Roll and go into your “happy space” 😉
Recipe can be doubled and frozen.